If you are planning to add some solar panel kits on your roof so that you can get green energy to use, firstly some basic solar power facts should be known. Due to solar panels’ self-sufficient feature, installing solar panel kits on your roof is helpful to reduce your energy bill and reduce your carbon footprint, too.
- The term of solar energy means energy from the sun. We can use some devices to harness the energy of the sun. For example, we use solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity and we use solar tubes to heat water directly. In a word, solar energy can be a resource to power our home.
- In 1876, William Adams discovered solar cells that make up of solar panels.
- Similar to hydropower and wind power, solar power is also one of the cleanest energies and it is also a renewable energy resource.
- Solar energy can be widely used to power our home, like heating water, heating our swimming pools, heating our home, charging batteries, powering many appliances(like solar fans), power outdoor landscape lights and RVs, etc.
- Solar panels are made up of Photovoltaic panels (PVs for short) which are devices or equipment used to convert solar energy into electricity. Converting efficiency is about 15%. Although it seems very low, it is known that green plants are only 3% efficient at photosynthesis.
- A solar power system can be separated from or connected into the grid. The term of net metering means you can connect your solar power system into the grid, so that you can sell your excessive electricity to the utility company. This can reduce your energy bill but get some money back from the electric company.
- Similar to electric power, solar energy is also measured in KWH (kilowatt-hours).
- Rechargeable batteries are essential for a solar power system, because they can store electricity generated by the solar panels, making it possible to use electricity at night.
- You can try your best to use solar energy. For example, if your window is designed to orient the east or west, you can open your window to capture sunlight so warm your room. This is called as a passive solar design strategy.
- If you have installed solar systems in your room, you may be qualified for tax credits offered by Federal and state which can reduce your initial cost.
- Solar panels are durable to use and feature low maintenance. They can last over 20 to 30 years and warranties are also equal to the length of the time.
- Solar panels can be mounted on the roof of your house and on a pole in the yard. Mostly, the roof is an ideal place.
Although investing in a solar power system is costly, it has many benefits in the long run. The solar power facts above can help you make a wise decision whether you really need such a system or not.