Fluoridation is widely used for water treatment by many water treatment facilities. However, this is a controversy issue, because on the one hand fluoridate is helpful to kill viruses and bacteria in our water, on the other hand it is unhealthy to our body. Therefore, in this article, we will discuss how to get it out from our water. I also list some ways that cannot get fluoride out from our water.
Effective method to get fluoride out from our drinking water
Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration
Reverse Osmosis is widely used to purify water. Many types of bottled water are RO water. Therefore, some bottled waters don’t contain fluoride and they are fluoridated. When you buy bottled water, pay attention to its label. And if it is ro water, you can buy it. However, buying a RO system may cost you a few hundred of dollars. It seems a little expensive, but it can work for you for many years. The cost in the long run is lower than continuous consuming bottled water.
Activated Alumina Defluoridation Filter
These water filters are not affordable. Most are over $30 and you need to replace it frequently. Mostly they are used for emergency where fluorosis is prevalent. It is only a choice for home filtration.
There are many water distillers on the market that are also equipped with a post filter to get fluoride out from our water. However, just remember distilled water doesn’t mean it is good for drinking, because other contaminants may be in it. If you plan to obtain distilled water, you can choose a countertop water distiller to help you make distilled water at home with a lower price in the long run.
How To make distilled water?
Ways that cannot get fluoride out
- Water Filter Pitchers, like Brita, Pur -Water filter pitchers are mostly activated carbon filters and they can improve the water taste but cannot get fluoride out from our water. Some websites boast they can, but I check these products official websites and found that the answer is no.
- Boiling water can only concentrate the fluoride, because water vapors rise and the water in the container becomes less while the fluoride is still in it.
- Freezing water cannot influence the quantity of both water and fluoride, so the concentration doesn’t change.
Ways to Reduce Fluoride Exposure
- Pay attention to fluoride supplements and don’t take them.
- Check labels carefully to make sure there is no fluoride in bottled beverages. If they are not made of distilled water or RO water, mostly they contain fluoride.
- Choose unfluoridated toothpaste.
- Keep away from red or black tea.
- Although some studies show that drinking black or red tea has many benefits due to their special chemical compounds, they may contain a high concentration of fluoride. Therefore, you should keep away from them.
- Tinned fish or canned food may contain fluoride because fluoride is commonly used as a preservative.
- Items that contain red or black salt may have a high concentration of fluoride, so avoid them.
- Chewing tobacco may also expose you to fluoride.
- Some medications contain fluorine, so don’t take it for a long time and you can ask your doctor for an alternative. For example, certain antidepressants may be not suitable for a long time use, so the medications for osteoporosis are.