A whole house water filter can help you to purify your tap or well water. If you think there are some contaminants in your water, it is a great idea to test your water. Generally, the tap water we consume every day even contains contaminants, like chemicals, heavy metals and others. Tap water comes from our local water treatment companies and there is a long way from the water company to our house. Tap water may be polluted again by the plumbing system or our faucet. These harmful impurities are harmful to our health. Therefore, purchase a whole house water filter and you can have enough clean water to drink, wash and consume.
On the market, there are many different types of whole house water filtration systems. For some reasons, we must know how to choose the best one and what it can do for our family.
What is a whole house water filter?
Unlike other water filters (like water pitcher filters, under sink water filters, countertop water filters, water shower filters or water faucet filters), a whole house water filter is a water filtration system that can provide you with filtered water throughout your house. This means once you turn on your water in your house, you will get filtered water to use. Generally, it is installed at the entrance of your water supply system. Therefore, you can get clean water anywhere in your house. You even can connect the purified water to your sprinkler system and the garden hose.
Before making a buying decision, you need to know what contaminants are the main ones you want to remove. In our tap water, there are chlorine, chemicals, iron as well as sediments. We need a filter to remove them, because most of them are harmful to our health. If you plan to use a filter to purify your well water, you also need to know what are in your well water and choose the right one for your family. You also can ask the manufacturer to recommend some best ones for you. One thing is important. Some features are not so important for you, or even useless. Therefore, don’t pay much money for useless functions.
A water softener or a whole house water filter?
To answer this question, you should know the difference between these two different water treatment systems. A water softener can only remove or replace some minerals in the water, making the water become soft. It cannot remove other types of contaminants, like chemicals, bacteria, virus etc. Well a whole house water filters can remove a wide range of different contaminants. And you can choose different stage of filters to remove different contaminants.
Best whole house water filter
On the market, there are plenty of whole house water filters. Before making a decision, reading some reviews is a good start and this can help you understand its main features. Here, we’ve made a list of the best whole house water filters which you can rely on.
1.Watts WH-LD Premier Whole House Filter System
This watts best whole house water filter is inexpensive and very popular on Amazon. It has been tested and certified by NSF. It is able to effectively reduce sediment, rust and dirt. It is also very to install because of its built-in by-pass valve, a wrench and stainless steel inserts. What’s more, it also comes with 3 additional replacement filters which allow you to change your filter. Sediments and chemicals are harmful to our water softener, plumping fixtures or carbon filters. This is why we need this Watts WH-LD Premier which can remove chemicals and sediments in our tap water. Watts has a 130-year of industry experience. Therefore, it is worth trusting.
2.Culligan HF-360A Whole House Filter
Culligan is also a famous water treatment company. Their filters are very popular in the world. This filter is very versatile and it can be served as an inline, an undersink or a whole house water filtration system. The replacement is also very easy because of its patented shut off valve. This Culligan filter is helpful to protect our water heater, fixtures, washing machines, faucets and other household appliances which must use water to work, extending their lives. A five-year limited warranty is also included. It deserves a try.
3.Aqua-Pure AP903 Whole House Filtration System
If you need an advance one, this model can suit your needs because of its advanced features. It is built with non-corrosive stainless steel and its carbon filter media can reduce bad odor and taste caused by chlorine in tap water. In 1 minute, it can provide you with 20 gallons of water. This system can be used to reduce rust, chlorine and other chemicals. If you want to filter to protect your water-use appliances and fixtures in your house, you need this one. If you think it is a little expensive, you can choose Watts WH-LD Premier or Culligan HF-360A.
4.Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System Rhino EQ-300
This Aquasana EQ-300 is one of the most reliable and effective filters. Up to 97% of chlorine can be removed. It is able to offer you up to 300,0000 gallons water without replacing filters. A 3-year warranty is also included. Many users think it is really a great filter and it can work flawlessly even after a long time use.
5.Premium Whole House Water Filter System
This system is rated very high, up to 5 stars. However, it is also a pricey filter. If you purchase it in a local store, it may cost you over $1,000. It is only $749, if you purchase it online. Unlike other inexpensive filters, it can work for you for 5 years without replacing. A limited warranty is also provided by the manufacturer. It can be installed outside. You can use it to purify both tap and well water.
6.Pure Earth Whole House Water Filter
Another pricey but valuable choice is this Pure Earth Whole water filter. It is only $899, compared with $1499 through an offline retailer. It can be used to filter both city and well water. One difference from Premium is that you cannot install it outside.
Although some models are pricey, it is valuable. In a long run, it only cost you less than $1 every day, but it can offer pure water for your family and house, lowering the risk of getting cancer and other waterborne diseases.
6 Steps to Install a Whole House Water Filter System
Once the whole house water filter has been purchased, you need to carefully install it in the home to deliver the fresh, crisp water. A simple solution is to rely on the services of a professional. But, the installation is rarely an issue for those with basic do-it-yourself skills.
Most of the whole house water filter systems are designed to connect to the main water line to effectively cleanse the water entering the home.
- Choose a location – the filter system is best installed in an area that is easily accessible for routine maintenance, such as replacing the filter. It helps to leave enough space beneath the filter tank to easily remove and replace the filter. Also, it is practical to place the water filter within close proximity to the shut-off valve.
- Drain the system – shut off the main water supply entering the home. Now, locate a faucet at the lowest point in the house. Turn the tap on to drain any water still present in the system, which also helps to clear pressure in the line.
- Cut the pipe – refer to the step-by-step instructions that came with the filter kit. Use a pipe cutter to cut the water-line in an area close to the shut-off valve. Make sure to mark the exact size of the filter and only remove enough of the pipe to match the needs. It may help to position a bucket under the pipe to catch the last of the dripping water.
- Mount the fittings – the filter assembly has a push fitting on one side. Use this to insert the pipe as far as it will go, which is about 1-inch. For the awkward filter fitting that is a different size to your pipe work it may be necessary to use an adapter. Seal the fitting by tightening as far as possible and also use Teflon tape or similar to finish. Once the dry-fitting is complete, make sure to mark the last piece of pipe by placing alongside the end of the shut off valve.
- Place the filter – install the filter the correct way with the “in” port for the water entering the system and the “out” port for where it leaves the system. Installing in reverse can lead to a problematic system. Make sure to tighten and secure any nuts or connections for a watertight set up.
- Turn on the water – most filters have a handle at the inlet value with options to select bypass, filter or off. Start by selecting the off position. Turn on the water and carefully look for signs of leaks. If leak-free, move the handle to the filter position. This starts to fill the filter with water and the filtration process starts. Continue to look for leaks. If any are detected, attempt to tighten the nuts or fittings.
There are many different types of water filter so make sure to carefully research the available options to meet the family’s needs. The Watts and Culligan are practical to filter dirt and sediment. However, the Aqua-Pure, Crystal Quest and Aquasana are favored for the crisp, clean drinking water. The systems we identify as the best are based on factors like customer feedback, certifications, quality of filtration media, and value for money. In an effort to find the right whole house water filter, make sure to consider the items listed and able to suit your needs. If you plan to find the best whole house water filter, our list above can help you quickly find what you really water.